should I install a carbon monoxide detector?

customer testing a carbon monoxide detector

protect yourself and your family

Carbon monoxide is a silent, toxic gas, which can be deadly within a matter of minutes if trapped in your home.  Because it is odorless, tasteless and colorless, it is vital for homeowners to have carbon monoxide detectors installed and functioning properly in the correct locations throughout the house.  Carbon monoxide is a potential threat inside any home that uses heating oil, propane, natural gas, gasoline, diesel fuel, charcoal, or wood to heat or run an appliance. It is also a threat to anyone who is enclosed in a space with a running vehicle.  Although appliances, fire places, generators, furnaces and boilers are designed to operate safely, and often have thorough instructions and warnings posted on them and within their manuals, carbon monoxide can become a threat if any part of the unit becomes faulty, or if ventilation (such as the chimney) becomes blocked. 

ensure proper installation

The best way to prevent incidents of carbon monoxide in the home is to read the instructions for all appliances thoroughly, and always operate them correctly.  If the unit must be installed, be sure that it is done by a licensed professional who fully understands the importance of proper ventilation.  Check ventilation outputs regularly and free vents of dirt, dust, leaves, snow, or other debris to improve indoor air quality.  Have units regularly cleaned and serviced according to the manufacturer instructions.  Lancaster County customers of Weaver Energy receive annual maintenance reminders in the mail; it is a great way to stay on top of regular tune-ups by scheduling appointments whenever these notices are received.

choosing the correct product

All occupied homes with any risk of carbon monoxide should have carbon monoxide detectors installed.  The best locations for installation are on all floors, near every sleeping area, and five feet from the floor.  The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) warns that carbon monoxide detectors vary in performance, and encourages consumers to do their own research when choosing which brand and type of carbon monoxide detectors to purchase.  If having an installation or service completed by Weaver Energy, our HVAC technicians will be happy to discuss your options with you in your home.  For more information on carbon monoxide, please visit the EPA website at:

contact us today

For our HVAC service customers, feel free contact us or to call the office at (717) 626-7169 to schedule your annual maintenance.

Return to Weaver Energy Blog page